Sunday, November 1, 2009

The scholar

http://www.thaformula.com/doc_ruthless_to_death_row_thaformula_music.html

D.O.C., the guy who ghost-wrote verses which defined the California gangsta sound, from Eazy E to Dr. Dre, says "I've never really been a street kinda dude. I'm more of a thinker."

Here's an excerpt:
"I was always a reader as a young kid. I was never outside in the streets sellin' this doing that. I used to read books, that's what I did. I actually read books so that I could trick my parents into thinkin' that I was going to school and shit. But once I got to the West Coast, it was just such a thrill to be in California. I had been to L.A. as a kid or young child, but as an adult I had never been to L.A., so my vibe was so great I was putting songs together in fuckin' 5 minutes back then. I can't remember one rap I wrote that Eazy didn't love, and muthafuckas in L.A. from Dre's relatives to Eazy's relatives to Cube's friends didn't love. Muthafuckas were like, "Doc you the shit!" Once they came in like that it was hard for me to come back to Texas because Texas never showed me that kind of love."

No comments:

Post a Comment